Saturday, January 27, 2018

REFLECTIONS ON ST CHARLES OF JESUS’ ‘PRAYER OF ABANDONMENT’


Father,
I abandon myself into your hands;
do with me what you will.
Whatever you may do, I thank you:
I am ready for all, I accept all.
Let only your will be done in me,
and in all your creatures -
I wish no more than this, O Lord.
Into your hands I commend my soul:
I offer it to you with all the love of my heart,
for I love you, Lord, and so need to give myself,
to surrender myself into your hands without reserve,
and with boundless confidence,
for you are my Father.

__________________

Father, I abandon myself into your hands. 
To be abandoned is a terrible thing, 
an act of carelessness 
that takes no account of what may happen to the one abandoned.  
Only an adult can abandon themselves, 
a child does not have the ability to make this reckless act.  
For it not to be reckless requires trust in another 
and a belief that the process of abandonment has a purpose. 
Jesus abandoned Himself into the hands of His Father;
He did so with faith in the One whom He had come to know and trust.
Every aspect of who I am I gift to You with no strings attached. 
I cut all ties; I entrust myself to You and let go of myself in Your absolute care. 
I place myself before You as a child before its Father, leaving myself at the doorway of your house. 
I hand over all power to You and entrust my future to You whatever happens.

do with me what you will. 
As I give myself to Him, God tells me to trust Him, 
trust that in saying ‘thy will be done’ I will be held safe 
and that God will never desert me whatever may happen. 
What matters is to live in the present moment. 
I need to turn to my Father as a child might turn to theirs and look into His loving eyes. 
There is something liberating in living in the Divine Will, whilst needing to resist evil – 
‘Jesus, I trust in You’.
To know God’s will means turning to Him in prayer, and simply saying
 ‘Thy will be done on earth, as it is in heaven’.

Whatever you may do, I thank you:. 
Let me live thankfully, eucharistically, whatever may happen to me. 
And when my heart becomes overwhelmed by sadness and anxiety, 
or desolation begins to cast a shadow over me, 
inspire me to give thanks that the darkness may be turned into light.
In all places and in all things let me see your hand and give thanks. 
In every blade of grass and every mountain peak may I see your glory and give thanks.
And when I cannot see you or sense your presence, teach me to thank and praise you.

I am ready for all, I accept all.
I know that both good and evil will come my way; teach me to accept them
with a necessary detachment and not be blinded by them. Teach me to love through them.
Give me a freedom of spirit to greet them and wisdom to know how to respond
as you responded to those who were the cause of your Incarnation, Passion and Death. 
Grant me gratitude and patience, courage, fortitude and detachment in the face of good and evil.

Let only your will be done in me, and in all your creatures -
I wish no more than this, O Lord.
My one will and desire must simply be this: ‘thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven’.
For in that prayer is encompassed all that God desires and it expresses all that we can desire:.
that the divine good might be accomplished in me and all that exists.
It is what Jesus taught us to pray for and we can pray for no more or less than that:
‘Thy will be done’.

Into your hands I commend my soul: I offer it to you with all the love of my heart,
Take, Lord, and receive all that is your own
For I long to live in you,
to be enfolded in your love,
for my love to be your love
that I may flow with you.
Take my heart and mould it into the form of your most Sacred and Compassionate Heart.


for I love you, Lord, and so need to give myself,
‘From Love in Love the leaping flame of Love is spread,
for none can love except by Love possessed.
The love that is outpoured was first Love’s gift of love.
Give, give, and give again is Love’s own song.
For Love is giving love and there is no end to Love.’ * 
 Lord, you continually awaken love in my heart; you who are the source of love and life.
When I gaze upon your revelation in Jesus
my heart is moved and I so want to give myself to you,
to let love flow through me –
love for the one I love and love for the whole of your creation,
especially the most unloved.
Yet it is hard to love those who seem unlovely
and only by your grace can I do this.
Let me gaze on all things with your inner eye of Love
as you gaze upon me and all things

that I may give myself to all that I encounter.

* Fr. Gilbert Shaw: A Pilgrim’s Book of Prayers

No comments: