Monday, May 25, 2015

MORIAR IN SANCTAM CATHOLICAM ET APOSTOLICAM FIDEM DOMINI NOSTRI JESU CHRISTI*

When revising my Will recently I came across this statement of Faith:  

I die in the Holy, Catholic and Apostolic faith of our Lord Jesus Christ (*) as it has been received and taught in the Church of England. I commend my soul to almighty God and trusting in his mercy, implore forgiveness of all my sins. I beg forgiveness of all whom I have injured and I freely forgive those who desire forgiveness of me.

It was developed by the Guild of All Souls as a modern expression of a declaration of faith commonly used in old Wills which endowed chantries.  I found it a moving expression of hope and a final acknowledgement of our need for mercy and so have included it at the end of my Will and commend this practice commend to others.  

No comments: