Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Clergy Discipline? Remember Cranmer!

It’s not often I find myself referring to Thomas Cranmer (the Archbishop that is) but, having read the House of Bishops Pastoral Guidance on Same Sex Marriage, I found myself rushing to him for guidance and inspiration. 
It seems to me that their Grace’s need to re-examine the history of the Church in England.  Or have they conveniently forgotten that 
at a time when the Church demanded celibacy of its clergy Cranmer, having married his second wife Margaret before he was consecrated, proceeded to hide her from view when he became Archbishop. Perhaps the legacy of this founding act of deception and subterfuge has so deeply entered the psyche of the Church of England that it’s now overlooked. Whatever, I am surprised the bishop's forgot this precedent when they wrote in their Pastoral Guidance: 'Nevertheless at ordination clergy undertake to 'accept and minister the discipline of this Church, and respect authority duly exercised within it.' We urge all clergy to act consistently with that undertaking'. 

Isn't there a saying that what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander....





No comments: