Wednesday, October 04, 2006

St. Francis of Assisi


It seems strange to have begun this Blog on the Feast of St. Francis of Assisi for, whilst no longre a Franciscan, I have deep roots in that tradition and hope that the Little Poor Man of Assisi wouldn't mind creating this site. The question I am tempted to play with is, 'Would St. Francis have had a blog?'. Probably not!!

But lets celebrate him through his great Canticle of the Sun and all Creation:


Most High, all powerful, good Lord,
to you be praise, glory, honour and all blessing.

Only to you, Most High, do they belong
and no one is worthy to call upon your name.


May you be praised, my Lord,
with all your creatures, especially brother sun,
through whom you lighten the day for us.

He is beautiful and radiant with your splendour,
he signifies you, O Most High.

Be praised, my Lord, for sister moon and the stars, #

clear and precious and lovely, they are formed in heaven.

Be praised, my Lord, for brother wind
and by air and clouds, clear skies and all weathers,
by which you give sustenance to your creatures.

Be praised, my Lord, for sister water,
who is very useful and humble and precious and pure.

Be praised, my Lord, for sister, our mother earth,
who sustains and governs us and produces diverse fruits and coloured flowers and grass.


Be praised, my Lord, for brother fire,
by whom the night is illumined for us;
he is beautiful and cheerful, full of power and strength.

Be praised, my Lord, by all those who forgive
for love of you and who bear weakness and tribulation.

Blessed are those who bear them in peace:
for you, Most High, they will be crowned.

Be praised, my Lord, by our sister,
the death of the body, from which no one living is able to flee;
woe to those who are dying in mortal sin.

Blessed are those who are found
doing your most holy will,
for the second death will do them no harm.

Praise and bless my Lord and give him thanks
and serve him in great humility.

No comments: