Tuesday, March 05, 2019

AUGUSTINE - Confessing my-self


‘If I would not confess to you, what could be hidden in me, O Lord, from you to whose eyes the deepest depths of man’s conscience lies bare?  I should only be hiding you from myself, not myself from you.  But now that my groaning is witness that I am displeasing to myself, you shine unto me and I delight in you and love you and yearn for you, so that I am ashamed of what I am and renounce myself and choose you and please neither you nor myself save in you.  To you then, Lord, I am laid bare for what I am … I will confess therefore what I know of myself and what I do not know; for what I know of myself I know through the shining of your light; and what I do not know of myself, I continue not to know until my darkness shall be made as noonday in your countenance.’ (Confessions, 10)

No comments: